Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lesson Summary: January 1, 2012.

This year we will be studying the teachings of President George Albert Smith. Today Miriam D. provided a perfect foundation for this study with a summary of his life.

She began with a quote that summarized President Smith's passion:

Within the last year, I have had the privilege of meeting and conversing on the gospel with some men who live in this community [Salt Lake City], not members of our Church. One man had resided here for twenty years, a man whose life is above reproach, a good citizen, a splendid business man, one who has kindly feelings towards our people. He told me that he had lived here twenty years, and he had come to the conclusion that we were just as good as our neighbors who are members of other churches; he could not see any difference in us.
I want to say to you, my brethren and sisters, that is no compliment to me. If the gospel of Jesus Christ does not make me a better man, then I have not developed as I should, and if our neighbors not in this Church can live among us from year to year and see no evidence of the benefits that come from keeping the commandments of God in our lives, then there is need for reform in Israel. …

President Smith came from a devout family with a history of church leadership. His father was called when he was just 5 years old his father was called to be the president of the European mission, leaving his family. At the age of 12 he applied for a job. When told he may not be paid as much since he was so young, he said that he came to work, not to be paid, knowing that if he worked well he would be paid. He also worked as a railroad surveyor, which damaged his eyes.

Over his life he struggled with health. He had a lot of ailments which may have been due to lupus, in addition to his poor eyesight. He worked tirelessly, but did take 3 years from his service as an apostle due to illness.

His church service began shortly after his marraige to President Woodruff's daughter, with a mission to the Southern States mission. He served as the acting mission president for 16 months while President J. Golden Kimball was away. During his time in this mission they were attacked by a mob and President J. Golden Kimball raised to protect them. Elder Smith stayed in bed, knowing it would be OK. The next morning after the mob had dispersed the men found a pile of sticks, with which they would have been beaten if they had run out of the building.

President Smith had many talents, but one of the most endearing was his ability to make people feel at ease immediately, and people immediately knew of his sincerity. This was a great asset to him in his service. Before his apostleship he was active civicly, most famously in the Boy Scouts of America, but also in the Society for the Aid of the Sightless.

In 1945 he became President of the Church. 

When he was 34 years old, George Albert Smith made a list of resolutions that he called his “personal creed”—11 ideals that he committed to live by:

“I would be a friend to the friendless and find joy in ministering to the needs of the poor.

“I would visit the sick and afflicted and inspire in them a desire for faith to be healed.

“I would teach the truth to the understanding and blessing of all mankind.

“I would seek out the erring one and try to win him back to a righteous and a happy life.

“I would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather love them into doing the thing that is right.

“I would live with the masses and help to solve their problems that their earth life may be happy.

“I would avoid the publicity of high positions and discourage the flattery of thoughtless friends.

“I would not knowingly wound the feelings of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do him good and make him my friend.

“I would overcome the tendency to selfishness and jealousy and rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father.

“I would not be an enemy to any living soul.

“Knowing that the Redeemer of mankind has offered to the world the only plan that will fully develop us and make us really happy here and hereafter, I feel it not only a duty but also a blessed privilege to disseminate this truth.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment