Sunday, January 17, 2016

“My Peace I Give unto You” - January 17, 2016

Suzi J. asked us all to consider how we cultivate peace in our lives, using topics, quotes and scriptures from Chapter 2 in the Howard W. Hunter manual.
She began by reading the book If You Want to See a Whale by Julie Fogliano which emphasizes that if you want something, you cannot be distracted by other things.
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27)
“… in the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33.)
President Hunter spoke often about inner peace, teaching that a person can receive it only by turning to God—by trusting Him, exercising faith, and striving to do His will. ("My Peace I Give unto You")
  • How do we come to trust God?
In late 1975 a doctor recommended brain surgery for President Hunter’s wife, Claire. President Hunter agonized over whether the surgery was in Claire’s best interest, since it would strain her fragile body and might not improve her condition. He went to the temple, counseled with family members, and soon felt that the surgery offered the best hope for giving Claire some relief. Describing his feelings on the day of the operation, he wrote:
“I went with her as far as the doors to the operating room, gave her a kiss, and she was taken on through the doors. As time went by, I waited and wondered. … Suddenly the tense anxiety turned into a feeling of peace. I knew the right decision had been made and that my prayers had been answered.” ("My Peace I Give unto You")

We also heard from Alison F., Becca J. and Leanne G. on how they have found peace through their trials.

May you find the inner peace you strive for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment