Monday, October 17, 2016

Our Committment to God - October 16, 2016

Hikari led us in a discussion of the Chapter 19 Our Commitment to God.

Abraham and Isaac (Genesis 22)
Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego in the furnace (Daniel 3)

“Today I finished most of my work at the office. Nearly all of the pending matters are completed. I was alone in the office today with the realization that my practice of law was now at an end. I made notes on a number of files and left them on the desk. … I had a sick feeling as I left the office. I have enjoyed the practice of law and it has been my life for the last number of years, but in spite of this I am pleased and happy to respond to the great call which has come to me in the Church.”2
Elder Hunter knew from personal experience that “submitting to our Father’s will is not always easy.”3 Nevertheless, he knew the importance of being fully committed to God. Concerning that commitment, he wrote: “Most people do not understand why persons of our religious faith respond to calls made to serve or the commitment we make to give our all. I have thoroughly enjoyed the practice of law, but this call that has come to me will far overshadow the pursuit of the profession or monetary gain.” (Our Commitment to God)

As I think of the blessings God has given us and the many beauties of the gospel of Jesus Christ, I am aware that along the way we are asked to make certain contributions in return, contributions of time or of money or of other resources. These are all valued and all necessary, but they do not constitute our full offering to God. (Our Commitment to God)
  • When or how do you evaluate your commitment?
For the families awaiting the coming of Christ in the Book of Mormon, "And it came to pass that they did make a great uproar throughout the land; and the people who believed began to be very sorrowful, lest by any means those things which had been spoken might not come to pass." (3 Nephi 1:7, emphasis added).  It's okay for us to have these moments when our commitment becomes more difficult, we need to move on with faith, pray for courage and an understanding of the plan of salvation for you.
When speaking to the multitudes, the Master said: “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 7:21.)
As I listen to these words, it seems to me that the Lord is saying, “Just because a person may acknowledge my authority or have a belief in my divine nature, or merely express faith in my teachings or the atoning sacrifice I made, does not mean he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven or attain a higher degree of exaltation.” By implication he is saying, “Belief alone is not sufficient.” Then he expressly adds, “… but he that doeth the will of my Father,” that is, he that works and prunes the vineyard that it may bring forth good fruit. (Our Commitment to God)
  •  Pick something new that makes you DO something to make you a Living Member.
Yes, men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace.  (Ezra Taft Benson)

No comments:

Post a Comment