Thursday, July 7, 2011

Giving Meaningful Service Within Our Means - April F.

What I’ve learned from being the recipient of service given in love

When I was 14 my friend’s father died in a tragic plane crash. I thought long and hard
about what I could do to help console her, and finally decided the best thing to do would
be to get her a puppy. Thankfully, before going to the animal shelter, I consulted with
some older and wiser friends who gently suggested the best thing I could do for her was
to continue being her friend, be a good listener, and tell her I loved her.

There is no perfect way to serve another, but when service is thoughtfully and prayerfully
given, we are able to offer appropriate and inspired support to those who need it.

I have had many opportunities to be on the giving and receiving end of service. The
experience of being served by others has been humbling, strengthening, comforting, and
at times, miraculous. It has also taught me more about how to better serve others around
me, even when my time and resources are limited.

The limiting factors currently in my life include 4 small kids who are at home all day
for the summer, wreaking havoc on the bedroom they all share, enthusiastically tearing
through the house and yard and down the street like wild animals, taking off their dirty
diapers on the trampoline so they can jump naked… you get the picture. Therefore, most
of the “service” I give these days is taking care of the needs of my own family.

But I’ve found there is also tremendous joy and perspective that comes from looking for
ways to serve outside of those who live under my roof. As I’ve tried to make service a
habit in my life, I have found ways to fit it in—mostly ideas that have come from service
I have first received.

Here are just a few examples of ways I have found to serve others when life already
seems very full:

Make taking dinner easy on yourself and the recipient:
• Reduce cooking time and pick up a meal that’s partially or already prepared.
Ex: When I pick up a rotisserie chicken from Costco I can easily pick one up for
someone else, split a two-pack of bread loaves, add a simple salad, and there’s the
meal.
• If delivering is hard, pair up with someone else who may not have time to cook
and ask them to pick up the meal you’re preparing and deliver it for you.
• If possible, put food in disposable containers, re-sealable bags, or Tupperware that
you don’t need returned (and let your recipient know you don’t need it back).

Add small acts of service into your own routine:
• Going to the grocery store or running errands? Call a friend and offer to pick up
what they need as well.
• Watching someone’s children? If it’s not too much, invite another child to come
over as well.
• Give plentifully of smiles, hugs, and encouraging words.

Notice others around you and pray to “see” their needs:
This sounds so easy but can make such a difference to others—I know it has in my life.
• Pray that you will be attuned to the needs of those around you, and then act on
thoughts and promptings that come to you.
• Actively listen to your coworkers, friends, and neighbors.
• Strike up a conversation with another mom at the park or the person you don’t
recognize at church.

Serving others doesn’t need to be complicated. It simply comes from a desire to love
the Lord and glimpse our brothers and sisters on this Earth in the way that He sees
them. “Charity never faileth”, even when the roast is undercooked, the words come out
all-wrong, or the child you're watching gets bitten by one of your children (all things I’ve
personally been responsible for).

We all have limits and challenges that ebb and flow through our lives, but I believe we
can find small ways to serve even when our burdens feel like more than we can bear.
Allowing others to share our burdens can be a blessing to them, strengthening friendships
and faith. I have also found great comfort in my own trials by reflecting on the examples
of others who, in trials of their own, have faithfully endured.

Thank you, wonderful women of the PA2 Ward, for teaching me about charity and for
your countless acts of service quietly and lovingly rendered.

No comments:

Post a Comment